Work Abroad but earn in USD

Monday, September 19, 2005

Medicine in Argentina

Since last Thursday I've been sick with a sinus infection -- something I frequently get during winters. Since I'm going through two winters this year (I left the U.S. last May, just after winter ended) I'm going through two seasons of sinus infections. Joy.

Well, dealing with new medicines here is a quite a bit different. First, the brand names are all totally different. So, if you're looking for Sudafed (a common drug in the U.S. for nasal decongestant), you can't find that here. Instead, you have to rely on the name of the ingredients. The name of the medication in Sudafed is "pseudoephedrine". However, all those names have to be translated first. So, in Spanish the name is "pseudofedrina". So, that's the drug you have to look for.

You have to be careful too about all the ingredients. In addition to the QURA PLUS medicine that I was taking (which has the pseudophedrine for the decongestant), I was using another med for pain and another for my sore throat. Well, it turns out that the QURA PLUS also included something called "paracetamol", which meant nothing to me. I found out later that paracetamol is the same as "acetaminophen" which is also a pain reliever. So, I was doubling up on pain meds, which wasn't necessary.

For anyone living in Barrio Norte, there's an English-speaking pharmacist at a small pharmacy at Santa Fe and Sanchez de Bustamante (on Santa Fe street between Bustamante and the Disco supermarket). Buying meds here is not the easiest thing in the world and since its so different with all the names, its best not to screw around and find someone who speaks English who can make sure you're not going to be taking the wrong things.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Turribeach.com.ar said...

Hope you get better!

9/23/2005 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger insubby said...

Hi there guys. I'm Argentinian and working for Americans since a few years. I'm working now for Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Central Region, as you all may know, the health insurance.
Having one of the best health insurance companies here in Argentina, Galeno (we call them pre-paid medicine or "prepaga") I can tell you that it's not as different as in the US and I would tell in many cases that they cover more than what I am used to deny in the know plans with Anthem. I was reading also that medicine here is not that well recognized and no, that is not true. Reallity here is that everybody seems to be a doctor because we think we can solve from a headache to building an empire state. Buuuut, if you're an educated person and go to a good doctor or good hospital there is nothing to be afraid of. Self-medicating here is very, very easy and that is also a shame, but everything is changing now and nowadays it's more restricted.
For all you foreign people that need help with anything you need you can contact me!

9/19/2007 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger duh-li$hi$ said...

Can anybody tell me if I can buy Advair or Singular in Argentina over the counter? I've also heard that I can use a US script at a BsAs pharmacy?? True? I'm staying in BsAs for 6 months and need asthma medicine to be attainable. Thanks all

8/16/2008 04:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home